Now that the winter weather is upon us, some of us start to think “where should I go for lunch?” The West Village has great lunch spots, but we tend to fall victims to eating the same sandwich 5 days a week when it’s cold. If you’ve answered yes to the above, its time you learned about Empellon Taqueria.
Located on W 4th and W 10th, Empellon Taqueria offers casual, yet sophisticated Mexican food at a reasonable price. The Saatchi Eats team all opted for the 2 course prix-fixe meal for $20, which includes your choice of either an appetizer, entrée (tacos or a hamburger) or dessert. We also sampled the guacamole and flight of salsas (7 total! and all incredible) and topped our lunch off with a necessary margarita.
Some of our favorite dishes were (with plenty of pics below) …
- The guacamole. It was made fresh to order (we could tell) and had an extra kick to it, since we spotted some jalapenos in amongst the fresh avocados.
- The Kabocha Squash. We were surprised it came cold, but it had great texture and was full of flavor.
- The fish tempura tacos. The lime mayonnaise with the cabbage highlighted the fish beautifully and was not overbearing.. And they were easy to eat…always a plus with tacos.
- The shortrib burger. Bonus that it comes with yucca fries!
- Chocolate flan with cinnamon ice cream…because who doesn’t like chocolate?!
Overall verdict – Bundle up and brave the cold and head to Empellon Taqueria for a fun and filling lunch. If you’re caught on a client call at 1pm, have no fear. Consider stopping by after hours and sampling one of the 40 tequilas the bar offers. Post work drinks anyone?